Thursday, January 27, 2011

Post just pour moi...

Things are pretty crazy for me but I have just recently put that into perspective. I'm back at work, back at the gym and actually enjoy those boot camp classes and already see changes in the ol' body!
I drive my kid back and forth to school and love that I can pick her up. Take them both to swimming and still get to do my own stuff too, thanks to our nanny!
I went to visit my friend Deb in the hospital Tuesday. She's my AA buddy (Aplastic anemia that is!) and were in the hospital at the same time. She left a few weeks before me and we have become quite good friends since. My numbers took FOREVER to come up; hers went up and just stayed. She never needed blood or platelets whereas I needed both every week for nearly 5 months.
But then, my miracle happened. I started to climb, and climb I did! I kicked AA's butt!
Deb, just didn't get there. She didn't get to become an AA poster child like me. Her numbers in December plummeted from 45 to 13 in a couple of weeks. She just went back in for re-treatment.
That was just the wake up call I needed to remind myself just what this disease means and to start to enjoy being healthy and have energy again! Hence, the boot camp...
I went and saw her and I swear she's never looked better! She's doing great, started her treatments the first day she was in and did them back to back. No problem. I pray this works for her. I have the utmost confidence it will, she and I had a great visit and we are both really positive.
While there she told me a guy down the hall with AA just came in for re-treatment. He was one of the men diagnosed last summer that I may have spoke about. So me being me, and me being my mother's daughter, decided that Deb and I needed to visit him.
He had just finished having a terrible reaction to the ATG but was doing better when we saw him. Deb introduced herself and said the nurses said we should meet and he was told the same. Then she introduced me and said I had AA too and that I have 126 platelets! Ha! At first I was kind of embarrassed (imagine being embarrassed cause your 126 platelets are HIGH!) but Deb told me to stop it and I should be proud and I'm what they have to look forward to.  Well, that just got me going, told him my story etc. and we left with me saying, "I'll be back AA buddy!". He smiled and Deb thanked me for going with her because she would never have done it without me.
One day, your looking down a dark tunnel and the next, your climbing out into the bright sunshine.
Awesome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's such an awesome post Vic! You have such an amazing attitude, I'm in awe. Your message is well taken, it is so hard to just be in the moment and appreciate everything in the now, you are a great reminder to do that!
love and hugs!